Middleton Oaks - Family Style Living
“A home from home where people, with support, can live as independently as possible”
Middleton Oaks is an innovative facility, developed for people who wish to lead as independent a life as possible but who need a high level of practical, nurturing support. Often those who enjoy this kind of lifestyle live with the onset of dementia. Research clearly shows that some people thrive when they are supported in continuing to carry out everyday tasks such as meal preparation, washing up, housework and gardening.
The idea of ‘Family Style Living’ is based on a Dutch model of dementia care. Debby Lamont, Middleton Hall’s Head of Care and Quality, implemented a trial of the model following her 1st Class Honours Degree in Dementia Studies. Our ‘Family Living’ residential care facility was initiated in 2011 and proved extremely successful. It led to a £1.5m investment in a purpose-built, larger scale facility – Middleton Oaks.
The two ‘households’ within Middleton Oaks – Acorn House and Catkin House, are purpose-built and of an extremely high design standard. Each is perfectly suited to provide a home for eight people. The households are linked by the beautiful indoor Winter Garden, a communal space to be enjoyed by residents, families and staff members.
Each resident has their own comfortable and spacious en-suite room and they share an open plan kitchen, dining room and lounge. A homely, familiar environment where they can participate is conducive to a feeling of well-being.
Middleton Oaks offers:
- Beautiful, spacious rooms that people can make homely and familiar with their own furniture if they wish.
- All rooms have en-suite bathrooms and French windows to a patio
- Professionally qualified staff with training for and experience with people who have dementia.
- High staff to resident ratios with person-centred care tailored to each resident so that they retain a high level of choice and decision making.
- Residents and staff prepare meals and eat together
- All dietary requirements and preferences are happily satisfied whenever possible
- Residents supported in carrying out other day-to-day tasks as they wish, such as laundry and gardening.
- Use of Middleton Spa is encouraged, including supervised and assisted sessions in the gym and pool
- ‘Living Well’ activities are enjoyed throughout the week such as; Regular trips in the minibuses are offered to local attractions
- As well as the beautiful communal grounds, residents, families and friends enjoy spending time in the indoor Winter Garden at Middleton Oaks.
- Visitors are welcome at all times